Xiaomi has released a global beta build of its MIUI 6 ROM for the Redmi 1S smartphone. The company introduced MIUI 6, a major upgrade to MIUI ROM last year, but only few Mi devices such as Mi 4, Mi 3, Redmi Note, Redmi 2 and MiPad run on the stable MIUI 6 ROM. Developer ROMs are available for Mi devices in China, but this is the first time the company is releasing beta version of its ROM for global markets.
MIUI6 brings new notification center with toggles for music control panel, notifications for new messages, missed calls, reminders, app notices, and more. It also has smart blocklist and visual menu for voice service calls.
Beta build is updated every 1-2 weeks, and may have some unresolved bugs because it is a work-in-progress that constantly updates, says the company. There might be some minor bugs in beta builds, which are fixed in the stable builds that are released every 4-6 weeks.
The MIUI 6 ROM for the Redmi 1S is 587MB, but it is not available as an over-the-air (OTA) update. I can be downloaded from the MIUI forum here and flash it manually. You can follow the instructions of the installation in MIUI Forum here. This beta build will be updated every week based on the feedback gathered from Mi Fans in the forums
Flashing MIUI ROM in Fastboot Mode :
Download necessary ROM and ROM Flashing tool, and make sure that your phone has enough power. This guide will help you to upgrade your Global stable ROM to the Global developer ROM. All user data will be cleared in the process, so please back up your personal data on your PC/Laptop before starting this process.
1. Download ROM from this link
and extract it on desktop.
(Please check if the file suffix is ‘.tgz’. Please rename it to ‘.tgz’ if the suffix is ‘.gz or .tar’)
2. Download flashing tool and install it.
3. Once installation complete, double click on MiFlash icon
4. Click on browse
5. Select ROM folder from Desktop
6. Click on Advanced.
7. Click on Fastboot Script Browse button then go to ROM folder from desktop and select flash_all.bat, This will wipe all data from Internal SDCard so make sure you are taking all personal data backup on PC/Laptop.
8. Turn off the phone, press the Volume down key and the Power button at the same time to enter Fastboot mode, then connect the phone to a computer.
9. Press Refresh button to see you device in flashing tool.
After pressing refresh button you will see connected device.
10. Click on Flash and it will start process
11. Once flashing process completes, device will automatically reboot. Reboot might take up to 5min.